Friday, September 2, 2011

Week of September 3 - 9

September 3
 
The wilderness and the dry land shall be glad, the desert shall rejoice and blossom; like the crocus it shall blossom abundantly, and rejoice with joy and singing. The glory of Lebanon shall be given to it, the majesty of Carmel and Sharon. They shall see the glory of the Lord, the majesty of our God.
     Isaiah 35:1-2

 
Deserts are not the barren, lifeless places we may often think they are. They teem with life and majesty. They may be places of harsh conditions and breathtaking extremes. But in them beauty and wonder abound. Cancer is like a desert – harsh, extreme, barren and life-depleting at times. But also, when we determine it to be, cancer can provide a means to discover new life where we saw no life before. It can be a source of joy when others lovingly and compassionately care for us. There can be beauty in the setting of new priorities, in the realization of new blessings that we ignored before. There can be wonder in the healing we seek, as we adopt healthier attitudes, activities, diets and routines. This place can be a place of majesty when we allow it to be.
 
Remind me, O God, of the richness of the desert. Just when I think I am lost in a place with no comfort and no hope, help me to notice the rich life that exists even there. Help me to understand there is more to know and see. Amen.

 
September 4
 
By the tender mercy of our God, the dawn from on high will break upon us,…
     Luke 1:78
 

There are endless dark nights of the soul when we are confronted with cancer. The draining, sleepless hours fill our minds with frightening and terrible possibilities. The distracting demands of our waking doubts sap energy from us that color our attitudes all day. The negative thoughts that invade our spirits do us no good and keep us from the positive work we must do to create a healing atmosphere in our lives. It is too easy to give in to the dark impulses that bombard us. We must never forget that a healing light from God always shines on us, a light that never goes out. When we always look down upon ourselves or at the problems before us, we miss seeing the light from above. We must look up to let it bathe us in its warmth and in its healing rays.
 
I do not want to walk in darkness anymore. Today, dear God, I will look up to feel and see your glorious light of hope, help and peace. Thank you for this gift for my soul. Amen.

 
September 5
 
In my distress I called upon the Lord; to my God I called.
     II Samuel 22:7a
 

The first place we must go to find help and relief is to God. God already knows what we need. God is already at work in us and around us, caring for our needs and answering our calls of distress. We may turn to countless other helpers – and they may be able to provide solace and hope for us in many ways. But it is God who provides those others for us. It is God who shows us the light and the way. Our first course of action in every dilemma and in every difficult decision needs to be turning to the One who understands and knows above all others just what is best and just what is right for us this day.
 
I need constantly to remember that when I turn to you first, O God, I am already being set on the right path for my needs. I ask for help not to be diverted today. I ask for the wisdom to put your direction first and not my own. Amen.

 
September 6
 
To give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.
     Luke 1:79
 

Cancer is not a death sentence. Too many people think it is. But those of us who believe that God is stronger and more able than any cancer, know there is hope even in darkness and amidst the shadows that cancer brings. Today – and every day – when doubts arise and resolve is weak, center your thoughts and expectations on the One who offers a better answer, who holds out a deeper hope and who can give us a very real and abiding peace. This One lifts us from the darkness and out of the shadows and shows us a better way to face our dilemmas and dis-ease.
 
Lurking within me are forces that try to destroy my hope and well-being. But dear Lord, you are also within and you show me the light of healing and peace. I am grateful for your endless help today. Amen.

 
September 7
 
Hannah prayed and said, “My heart exults in the Lord; my strength is exalted in my God.”
     I Samuel 2:1a

 
Gratitude needs to be the cornerstone of our daily lives. We must always return to giving thanks on a consistent, constant basis. When fear threatens us, when uncertainty consumes us or when pain debilitates us, it is very easy to give in to the darker forces around us. But to overcome those forces, we need to spend time being mindful of the forces of light that are infinitely stronger than any of those forces that attempt to break us down. In recounting our blessings we encounter hope and begin to experience healing deeply and profoundly.
 
I realize that I need to spend thoughtful, disciplined time remembering what is good within and around me. For when I do, O God, I am reminded how present and active you really are in my life. Thank you. Amen.

 
September 8
 
Love is patient.
     I Corinthians 13:4a

 
Patience is a hard thing to have when you don’t feel well. It’s tough to hold onto when life is uncertain and full of disappointment. But if we have a love for life, if we have love for those in our lives and if we believe that God has love for us, we can find strength in patience and serenity in our circumstances. It takes purposeful resolve to place a patient trust in what God’s love can do. But when we do, God’s love can deeply enrich our lives and richly deepen our relationships. In that, we can find the power to know our lives are worth living and fighting for.
 
In my impatience, help me to see, O God, the power in trusting and waiting for you to give me the best of what I need. While it’s often so hard to wait, I know when I wait in you I will surely find the answers and help I need. Amen.

 
September 9
 
He will guard the feet of his faithful ones…
     I Samuel 2:9a

 
When we believe in something – a goal, a mission, a treatment plan, a way of life, or a power that is greater than we are, a power that is working only for our greater good – we are given strength and ability beyond our imagination. When we believe implicitly that God is working to help us and heal us in the ways we need healing most, we can summon an amazing capacity to grow and change for the better. When we believe unreservedly in the path we are on, we open ourselves to a tremendous wealth of knowledge, renewal and joy. What a blessed gift this strong faith can be!
 
Dear Lord, as I place my faith in your power to guide me in the way I most need to go, I find an ever-growing encouragement and sense of hope in the days to come. I pray to summon your power today and to know without doubt your presence in my deepest needs. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment