Friday, April 27, 2012

Week of April 28 - May 4

April 28

Because the Lord your God is a merciful God, he will neither abandon you nor destroy you; he will not forget the covenant with your ancestors that he swore to them.
     Deuteronomy 4:31


We may easily forget how faithful God is to us. The circumstances of our lives cause our levels of trust to waver wildly from day to day. But as inconsistent as we may be and as volatile as our faith often is, God never turns from us. God will never leave us to make this difficult journey alone. God will never forget who we are, where we are or what we are going through. God created us out of love to experience love in everything we do. God wants us to live life abundantly and joyfully. God wants us to experience blessing and peace. God offers all these things to us. Even when we are inclined to disbelieve or forget, God never leaves us by ourselves to find our way.

Dear God, from the beginning of time your love was made known. Your faithfulness was made clear. When I forget that, I am sorry. But when I remember, I am given greater confidence and hope. Thank you for never giving up on me. Amen.



April 29

For you are a people holy to the Lord your God; the Lord your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on earth to be his people, his treasured possession.
    Deuteronomy 7:6


It’s really impossible to comprehend the depth and passion of God’s love for us. Because it’s so difficult we often cannot even begin to believe it is real. When we’re feeling incredibly threatened and desperately vulnerable because of a disease such as cancer, it’s hard to imagine that we matter. But we are not insignificant. We truly are treasured by God. And because we are treasured we are cared for and protected no matter what is going on around us or within us. We are deeply prized, valued and cherished by God. We are God’s finest and most profound creations. Made in God’s awe-inspiring image, we are intimately connected to all that is divine and eternal. There is nothing more precious to God than what God has made in human form.

When I am enfolded in the knowledge of your loving embrace, I am given peace and reassurance that I am not in this challenge alone. It helps so much to realize you care for me beyond words. Thank you, O Lord. Amen.


April 30

This is right and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
     1 Timothy 2:3-4


One of the quickest things we forget when we are hit with devastating news is that there can and will be better days for us ahead. We get so caught up in the crisis of the moment that we lose sight of the hope and promise that this can be but a temporary thing. Our senses become clouded and our reason becomes unfocused. We fall into despair and doubt so easily that our expectations become very negative. It is our biggest challenge to keep from wallowing in anxiety and fear. In this state we forget that God does not want our suffering or our pain. God does not desire us to give up or to give in to anguish and disillusionment. God wants us to know the truth – that we are loved, that we matter and that we are offered help for this day and for all eternity.

My faith comes and goes so dramatically, O God. It rises and falls sometimes moment by moment. I need your help to keep me strong, to keep me believing in your gracious love and care. It’s a lifeline that I desperately need. Amen.


May 1

… thus storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of the life that really is life.
    1 Timothy 6:19


What makes life worth living for you? What stirs deep love in your heart? Nurture those things. What enables you to have unshakable hope in what lies ahead? Cling to those things. What offers you unbridled joy in living? Pursue those things. What brings you peace and fills your soul? Pray for those things. Take a good, long look inside of you to grow in understanding about what is most important to you, about what offers you significance and instills a passion for this life you have. One extremely vital key to survival is to have a purpose, to be filled with meaning, to live a life that matters. Where there is little meaning, it is time to make a change. Where there is worth and value it is your opportunity to cherish those things and help them grow ever stronger for a renewed life.

When I get so caught up in my own problems and worries, I forget to make the time to look within and really know who and what I am. It’s not always easy to do. But I am asking you, dear God, to show me the way today, the way to what is most important for my life. Amen.


May 2

Recalling your tears, I long to see you so that I may be filled with joy.
    2 Timothy 1:4


The cancer journey cannot be made alone. It may feel as if we are all alone and, of course, no one else can understand exactly what we are going through. But we need others with us who will help, encourage, guide and nurture us. We need them, especially for our souls. There is nothing worse than feeling totally alone, misunderstood or without support. It is then when we become so discouraged that we lose hope and the will to go on. But the right people, with the right attitude, with the right concern for our well-being, with the right spirit of support can be a blessing to us that is immeasurable beyond our immediate understanding. They can sustain and strengthen us in ways too deep for words.

I cannot fully express to you how much it means to me when someone reaches out to me with grace and compassion. It lifts me up. It carries me through. It gives me hope. Thank you, dear God, for bringing these good people into my life. Amen.


May 3

The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.
    2 Timothy 4:22


This benediction, one of many throughout the scriptures, serves as a reminder that God constantly watches over us. It serves as an endorsement of our very lives and of our special place in God’s plan. It calls us to understand that we have an eternal protector who knows everything we experience, every challenge we endure, every need we have. This assurance of God’s divine blessing over our lives provides us with tremendous certainties – that our struggles are not unnoticed, that our dilemmas are not ours to face alone, that our pain is not in vain, that our circumstances are not without meaning, that our journey is not without guidance and direction. And it means so much more as well. This benediction, along with all the others the scriptures hold, is our lifeline to the One who sees us through it all. It is our lifeline to wholeness, hope and healing.

It is your spirit, wonderful God, which keeps me going and helps me to find your way, which is so much better for my life. Knowing that you accompany me is the richest blessing of my life. Amen.


May 4

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me …
     Psalm 23:4a,b


The valleys we enter on the cancer journey can be very deep, dark and distressing. Fear is often our constant companion along the way. We feel as if we are in the valleys alone, with neither a guide nor a discernable way out. Even in our loneliness, the psalmist reminds us, we are not ever alone. We are assured that indeed God never leaves us to travel the depths without help, without hope or without a hand to grasp onto.

Good Shepherd, I do feel alone sometimes, as if I’ll never shake off this anxiety and despair. But don’t let me forget your abiding presence and your infinite care. Your reassurance does give me hope. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment