Friday, September 14, 2012

Week of September 14 - 21

September 15

And Mary said, "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior."
     Luke 1:46-47


When Mary learned of the daunting changes that were happening in her life, instead of running away in fear, she embraced the challenges head on. Instead of falling apart or descending into paralysis, she embraced her circumstances and looked to God to help her face them. In fact, she praised God and placed her absolute trust in God’s ability to see her through every moment along the coming way. Mary’s praise, confidence and trust were essential to her success in the challenges that lay ahead of her. An attitude of praise, confidence and trust are essential to meeting successfully our challenges, too.

I thank you for always helping me through every challenge I have. I know you will always be with me no matter what comes my way. I believe you will give me every good thing I need, O God. Amen. 


September 16

They came upon me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my stay.
     II Samuel 22:19


When we feel knocked down, burdened, besieged, we need to remember most that we are never alone. Even when it seems as if no one understands, as if no one cares or as if no one can help, we are still enveloped in the love and grace of God. No matter how disastrous the day or how dark and lonely the night, God’s steadfast presence never falters or forsakes us. This assurance can always sustain and revive us when we are on the verge of giving up. God’s faithfulness never ends, even when we can’t see it or understand how God works.

Ever-present God, I need reassurance that you are right here with me in my fear and in my distress. Today, I pray to see you and know you in very real and evident ways. In that I am calmed and find confidence. Amen. 


September 17

All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. 
    John 1:3


God is the source of all our lives. God is the creator of everything good, eternal and holy. When bad things come into our lives, God is there to turn them around. When problems assail us, God is with us to show us they are temporary. When evil surrounds us, God stays by us to vanquish it from our lives. As the burdens of cancer weigh us down, we must hold onto this good news. God formed this world and said that it was good. All our beliefs need to be based on the power of this created goodness. This power can then sustain us and strengthen us no matter what confronts us or lies ahead.

When I remember that I have been created in goodness and that you made the world to be good, I am emboldened to live more confidently and fully. Help me to never forget how you have made me, dear God. Amen.


September 18

…You have put all things under their feet.
     Psalm 8:6


One of the most dangerous aspects of cancer is the ease in which we can become overwhelmed with our circumstances. When we fall into that abyss it often leads to paralysis, confusion and inaction. We soon believe we don’t have any options or the hope to climb out of our despair. But we do have options and we certainly have hope. God has offered us the means to meet our despair head on, the ability to overcome our distress with positive action and the capacity to seek and find answers to confront all that might destroy us.

Holy God, when I am feeling out of control and in distress, I need you more than ever. Be with me today to show me the ways you have set out for me to find help and relief. Amen.


September 19

Thus he has shown the mercy promised to our ancestors, and has remembered his holy covenant.
     Luke 1:72


We must always remember – but too quickly forget – that the promises of God are always kept. Throughout the scriptures the reminder is woven in an ongoing thread, telling us that God is endlessly faithful and relentlessly working for our deliverance and salvation. God has constantly worked to lift humanity from its despair. God has ceaselessly strived to show us a better and more satisfying way to live. We when are apt to give up on God as our difficulties surround us, we need to remember God’s promises and God’s deliverance on those promises – from the beginning of time to today.

O God, our help in ages past, our hope for years to come, I am so blessed because of your love and help. When I recall what you have already done for me, I am assured of what you will surely do in every day ahead. Amen.


September 20

When I lie down I say, "When shall I rise?" But the night is long, and I am full of tossing until dawn.
     Job 7:4


In the long darkness of the nights there are many anxious moments of distress and fear. In those dreaded hours of sleeplessness and worry, when our minds can take us to places we desperately wish we would not go, we often plead for rest and relief. For ages God’s people have cried out, uncertain if God is listening or if God even cares. In his suffering, Job’s faith and sense of hope were severely tested. But in the end he knew beyond doubt that God did care and was present in his life. Job’s reassurance is meant for our reassurance too. In the anxious moments of our darkest nights, we can remember that God always remains here with us and will never leave.

When I am lying awake, worrying about tomorrow, fearing what will become of my life, I need your love to help me through. Help me to know the dawn will arrive and I will see light again, O God. Amen.


September 21

The effect of righteousness will be peace, and the result of righteousness, quietness and trust forever.
     Isaiah 32:17


It is peace we all seek to find. It is peace joined with calmness and confidence that all of us hope to achieve. Through the chaos and confrontations of our lives there is a common yearning for tranquility that endures and serenity that reassures. When we are on the cancer journey the need for hope is very deep and constant. Today, find at least one way to create peace, calmness and confidence in your life. When you find that way, hold onto it, practice keeping it, build upon it and allow it to grow so it dominates your life.

Gracious God, I yearn for peace to grow within me. I need a change inside that will help to heal me from my fears and dis-ease. I know you are the One to help give me what I need. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment