Thursday, December 20, 2012

Week of December 22 - 28

December 22

Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf unstopped;
     Isaiah 35:5


There are days when we wonder if we will ever understand what is happening to us. There are times when we have serious doubts about whether or not we will ever really know when God is speaking to us and showing us the direction we need to go. As we go through our lives, and especially our lives with cancer, we often have more doubts and uncertain moments than we can number. Yet today we are reminded that our uncertainty shall not last. Today we are promised that our doubting will not linger. Today we can know that we will have the ability to see all we need to perceive and hear all we need to regard. Today we must trust that in God’s time it will happen.


My patience is usually not strong enough to wait, O God. I don’t listen as I should. I don’t see as I could. So today, help me to remember that you promise to show me and tell me all I will need. Amen.



December 23


…they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.
Isaiah 35:10c


There will come a day when all the fear and worry and anxiety can be put behind us. On that day, we are promised, we will experience wonderful elation and tremendous delight. On that day we will no longer posses a mournful spirit or a groaning, weary heart. What a day that will be. So why can’t that day start today? Well, it can. Right now, today, even as we live with disease, we can still experience joy – a feeling of well-being no matter what is going on around us. We can be glad - finding gratitude and goodness even as bad things confront us. We do not have to allow sadness and heartache to linger. Today we can act to change our outlook and our reactions. Today our world can be better simply because we resolve it to be.


Today, gracious Lord, my attitudes and my understandings will change. Today, with your help, I will modify the way I view my circumstances and things will begin to be more positive and hopeful. Amen. 



December 24


But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid; for see – I am bringing you good news of great joy for all your people…
     Luke 2:10


The diagnosis of a serious disease like cancer will certainly take most of us aback. It’s shocking news none of us ever wants to hear. But we do not need to be afraid of the news. While our lives will definitely change because of it, the changes do not all have to be negative or bad. In fact, if we place our trust in God, who is the author of all hope and the source of all healing, we can find great comfort, strength and peace. This is good news. We are deeply loved by God. And God does not want any of us to be broken down by disease. God wants only for us to find restoration and renewed life. In this we have nothing to fear.


God of new life, I pray for renewal today. My prayer is to put aside all my fears, to have new confidence and hope, and to believe with assurance that I am held tightly in your loving, healing hands. Amen.



December 25


The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.
     John 1:5


Today we are reminded that there is always light to brighten our darkness. Today we are reminded there is always hope to encourage us to discover a better day. Today we are reminded there is always a way to find relief from everything that overwhelms us. Today we are reminded that God is indeed always with us, providing the answers we need just when we need them. Today is a day to celebrate the light that shines just for us, a light sent by a loving, compassionate and caring God who only wants what is best for us. Today is a day to look into the darkness that invades our lives – whatever disease or fears or threats – to remember and declare that we will not be overcome by any of it, ever again.


Today I thank you, generous God, for the warm and generous light of your goodness and love. Your goodness encourages me. Your love carries me through. You give me gifts beyond compare. Amen.



December 26

Declare these things; exhort and reprove with all authority. Let no one look down on you.
     Titus 2:15


Do not ever forget that you are the leader on your healing journey. Remember that this is your life, that it’s your well-being and that it’s your future you are working for. Always know that you have the right and the responsibility to set the agenda and direct the path on which you want to travel. While all the others who love you, support you and care for you have a role and a vital interest in the course of your journey, you are the most important person on it. Let your voice be heard. Let your feelings be known. Let your needs be shared. You know what you need better than anyone else. Don’t forget that. Now more than ever you need to acknowledge what gives you strength and joy.


Under gird me with your power, O God, and build me up with your grace. I need a confident presence today. I need you, who knows me best, to give me understanding and wisdom to establish a healing way. Amen.



December 27


I will recount the gracious deeds of the Lord, the praiseworthy acts of the Lord, because of all the Lord has done for us, …
     Isaiah 63:7a,b


Once again we are called from days of old to remember the goodness that God has done for us. We are encouraged to be ever mindful of the blessings God has given us day after day. It is so easy, when we are dealing with cancer, to get caught up entirely in seeing what is wrong and in recalling all that is challenging us. But when we do, we only find ourselves trapped in a downward cycle of frustration and negativity. Today it is vital that we renew our commitment to remembering and recounting the endless gifts with which God graces our daily lives.


I know that when I begin to name the ways in which you help and carry me, dear God, I realize the list actually never ends. Just to be reminded of your endless gifts is the first blessing on my list. Thank you for being so good to me every day. Amen.



December 28


… for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
     Psalm 6:8b


There is also no doubt that there are many times when it seems as if God isn’t listening, doesn’t care or won’t act on our behalf.  When we are in pain it is often difficult to see past the anguish to know there will be relief.  But we can be reassured today beyond any shadow of doubt that God does hear us when we are in distress.  We can be certain that God is listening to our fears, understands our worries and is already at work to help soothe them – before we know to ask.  Even in our darkest hours, when hope is fragile and confidence is lost, the one defining truth is that God knows us intimately, loves us unconditionally and reaches out to comfort us completely.  Our faith reminds us continually of that.

You know just how often I waver in my faith, O God.
 You know how much I falter in my trust.  You know how many times I doubt your care.  So remind me today, that your love and concern is deep and real.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment