Friday, January 11, 2013

Week of January 12 - 18

January 12

See, the former things have come to pass, and new things I now declare; before they spring forth, I tell you of them.
     Isaiah 42:9


God wants us to be renewed. God wants us to be restored. God wants us to be revitalized. God wants us to be refreshed. And God doesn’t want us to have to wait to begin to see, know and realize the new life we are able to achieve. Even before we begin to understand the goodness that is in store for us, God is letting us know that it is coming. This promise of coming goodness can serve as a vital sign of hope for us. Cancer often robs us of our hope and we have to struggle to regain it again. These words remind us not to give up on hope. They remind us to rely on the very real dawn of a new day where all that confronts and threatens us melts blessedly away.


On this new day of life, I cling to the vision you share of better days for me. I hold onto the assurance that I can rise above my troubles and triumph over my pain. Dear God, your promises give power to this day. Amen. 



January 13


Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?
     I Corinthians 3:16


Each of us is very special and important to God. God created us lovingly, carefully, and intricately. We have been made in the divine image of God, filled with potential for wonder, goodness and joy. The purpose of our lives is to reflect God’s love and grace, to use our lives as a witness to God’s eternal gifts of peace and hope. Even when we are confronted with cancer - especially when we are confronted with cancer – it is essential for us to remember how extraordinary and significant we are. When disease puts us to a fundamental test, knowing how vital we are in God’s eyes can give us the confidence we need to face our challenges with steadfastness, trust and resolve.


Sometimes I don’t feel so significant, when I’m worn down, broken and afraid. But I begin to feel so much better when I am reminded of your deep love. You know me beyond compare. I am deeply grateful for your devotion and care, O God. Amen.



January 14


…for God’s temple is holy and you are that temple.
     I Corinthians 3:17b


Undoubtedly, when we don’t feel well, we don’t feel much like a temple of God. It’s hard to feel holy when pain does not go away, when sleep does not come or when our bodies no longer can do the things they have always done before. It’s hard to feel like a reflection of God when our hope is diminished, our outlook is downbeat or our dreams seem defeated. Yet, no matter how low we feel and how uncertain we are, we are reassured of this:
God made us and understands our every need;
in God’s understanding, God is deeply involved in meeting those needs;
even though we do not always recognize how God may be at work for us, we can know that God is caring for us in ways too profound to number.
This intimate care is a reflection of God’s love, a sign of our holiness in God’s eyes.


Holy God, by creating me in your divine image you announce that you want neither harm nor defeat to mark my life. In my darkest moments with disease and despair, I need to be reminded of your love. And I’m glad that you do. Amen.



January 15


The Lord is not slow about his promise, as some think of slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting any to perish …
     2 Peter 3:9


We want what we want when we want it. That’s natural and human. But in our humanness we fail to remember that we don’t know everything. One of the most difficult things for us to consider is God’s infinite knowledge about our needs and the larger picture surrounding us. We show this most with our impatience. We hate to wait. We beg for relief, we cry for better answers and we tell God what to do. Our limited understandings and perspectives and our preconceived ideas often close our minds and hearts to God’s better plans and more perfect timing. But when we remember that God wants nothing more than our well-being and healing, we can remain assured that in the best timing we will be blessed with every one of our needs.


Waiting and trusting in you to show me your better way are the hardest things I have to do, loving God. Teach me your patience. Assure me of your devotion. Help me to know your perfect care – even in the face of my fear and doubt. Amen. 



January 16


And this is the boldness we have in him, that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.
     1 John 5:14


God responds to our needs with only the best of answers. Because God sees and knows far beyond anything we are able to, God’s response to our needs may be far different than anything we may think is best or expect. With cancer there is often a lot of pleading to God, a lot of bargaining with God to change the realities confronting us. And far too often many of us pull back from God because we think – wrongly – that God is not attentive or that God does not care. We must always keep in the forefront of our minds that God knows even more intimately than we do just what we need to find strength and healing. Don’t be afraid to pour out to God what’s on your mind and what’s in your heart. But also don’t be afraid to listen with a more open and receptive spirit for what God has in store for you. What God has arranged is far more wonderful than anything we can devise or imagine on our own.


I need to open my spirit to you, O Lord. I need to be open to receiving and accepting your will. I need to remember that what you give is always what is right and best for me. Amen. 



January 17


May mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance.
     Jude 2


Mercy – compassion, kindness, forgiveness, understanding.
Peace – calm, tranquility, harmony, serenity.
Love – affection, devotion, care, concern.
To respond to cancer with confidence and strength, we need these gifts in supreme abundance. We can’t thrive without them. Seek them out. Surround yourself with those who share those gifts and who are examples of them. Treasure them when you find them. Nurture them. Hold onto them with gratitude and grace. They are your best hope to begin creating wellness in your life.


I hold onto you, dear God, because you are my best example of mercy, peace and love. You show me what they mean. You provide these healing blessings in my life. What wonderful gifts they are! Amen. 



January 18


Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.
     Hebrews 13:16


Cancer survivors realize that they need to give as well as receive. It is dangerous when we get so caught up in our own limitations and struggles. As we retreat further and further within ourselves, we lose a vital perspective about the larger world. We forget that there is life beyond cancer. But it is by reaching out, by opening ourselves up to others and their lives and by sharing our gifts and blessings, we begin to grow and change in significant ways. Soon, as we look beyond ourselves, we experience new ideas, new answers and new attitudes, so many that are positive and good. This is the beginning of our healing. It is what we are created to do. It is an essential part of our hope.


I can all too easily get caught up in my own problems. I can get so self-absorbed that I miss the joy and love around me. So today, O God, I will try to look beyond myself to see a better perspective. Today, I ask for your help. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment