Friday, February 15, 2013

Week of February 16 - 22

February 16

He who vindicates me is near…
Who are my adversaries? Let them confront me.
     Isaiah 50:8b


It’s all too common to lose our confidence and hope when cancer confronts us. But cancer is only as strong as we allow it to be. If we give it power over us and allow it to affect every aspect of our lives it will. But if we look at it as weak – and look at ourselves as strong – we can begin to reframe our thinking to give cancer less and less authority over us. God is infinitely more powerful than any disease. With God as our guide and foundation, we can face with confidence the challenges in our way. With God as our strength and stay, we can regain our hope and find the power we need to put cancer in its proper place.


You know how easily I fall into the belief that I am facing this challenge alone, without help or guidance. But dear God, I need your reassurance that you are with me and are giving me the power I can’t gather on my own. Amen.



February 17

Therefore thus says the Lord God, See, I am laying in Zion a foundation stone, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation: "One who trusts will not panic."
     Isaiah 28:16


Panic is a very common reaction to the news that we have cancer. Fear. Terror. Anguish. Horror. Each of those responses is universally typical too. No matter how strong our faith, our support or our care, it’s very human to panic when we first hear the news. But panic doesn’t have to last. It fact it cannot if we are to find the healing we need. Little by little and day by day we can regain our trust in God’s hand of strength and blessing to help us and guide us. As we reclaim our conviction that God does reach out to protect us, we will surely see that as challenging as our circumstances might be, hope is not lost because of God’s constant care and support.


In the many moments when I am inclined to hold onto fear and give up on hope, I know I need to turn back to you, O God. Remind me once again how strong and steady you are and always will be for me. Amen. 



February 18


I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart.
     Romans 9:2


Some days are just bad. No matter how much hope we have. No matter how much strength we possess. No matter how much support surrounds us. No matter what anyone says, sometimes we simply have rotten days. On those days the best thing to do is acknowledge the struggle. Sometimes all we can do is open up to the truth and pour out our fear and pain – especially to God, who already knows and understands. It is particularly important to be honest with ourselves just how bad we feel. In those starkly honest moments of realization and openness we begin to feel the healing balm of relief because of the release we allow ourselves to have.


Sometimes I just can’t hide how difficult it is, just how lousy I feel. Dear God, I know you understand and I know you will help me. I just can’t do this by myself. Amen.



February 19


Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good;
     Romans 12:9


It’s a struggle to keep positive when we’re dealing with cancer. It’s not easy to maintain a focus on hope when so much around and within us points toward harmful, threatening things. Yet staying positive is exactly what we need to do. Creating and maintaining an attitude of affirmation is an essential component to healing. Knowing what is bad for us is essential too. To understand what works for us and what does not can help us immensely to navigate the turbulence and challenge of cancer.


I need your help to show me what is good for me and what is not. Dear God, I don’t always get it right. But when I rely more on you I discover that I can see more clearly to find my way. Amen.



February 20

Love one another with mutual affection; outdo one another in showing honor.                 
     Romans 12:10


Focus on what is good. Concentrate on finding the tremendous value in everyone important to you. Commit to expressing your gratitude on a constant basis. Putting yourself in a positive mental place will only enhance and support your efforts at healing. The healing journey does not need negativity and bitterness to mar its way. It does no good to allow hostility to gain a foothold in our minds. Instead, a foundation of respect, appreciation, enjoyment and joy will provide us with the inner tools we need to create an atmosphere most conducive to regaining strength, hope and health.


I do find, gracious God, that when I make an effort to see the positive aspects of life around me, my whole outlook is brighter and better. So, I just ask that you help me to keep focusing on those things. They really do sustain my everyday life. Amen.



February 21


Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer.
     Romans 12:12


Hope. Patience. Perseverance. Each of these is a gift of healing and grace. Each one is necessary to possess to take us toward better days. Hope gives us a purpose to keep on going. Patience carries us through the difficult times and delivers us to days that are good. Perseverance gives us strength to not give up in the dark moments and periods. And perseverance leads us back to hope. Each gift is an integral part of the cancer journey. We need to foster and nurture these gifts in every way we can. They are vital to our health and our well-being.


I really am thankful, caring God, for these gifts you offer to me. On the days when I find it especially tough, they give power to help me face the immense challenges around me. Amen. 



February 22


Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them.
     Romans 12:14


Holding on to grudges and slights does us no good. Yet we’re all too good at harboring the resentments and reliving the bitter memories of the past. Holding on to these toxic emotions saps us of our energy and takes away the power we need to heal. It is far easier and infinitely less complicated to focus on what is positive rather than what is negative. In fact, we desperately need the positive energy we create to help us find hope and promise for the journey. Holding on to what is wrong and bad only creates an atmosphere that serves to pull us down and break our spirits.


I really need help to refocus my thoughts and attitudes on a positive level, gracious God. You know how quickly and even joyfully I enter into dark places in my heart and mind. I know that does not help me. So today I plead for your strength to help put me in the right frame of mind. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment