Friday, May 10, 2013

Week of May 11 - 17

May 11

On the day I called, you answered me, you increased my strength of soul.
     Psalm 138:3


Just by reaching out to God in prayer, we open our hearts, minds, spirits and souls to a connection that offers us hope and help beyond our deepest understandings. When we call to God, we immediately unite with a divine purpose. We instantly transcend the limitations of our human nature and join with an eternal nature that rises above our every concern and fear.

God, in this moment when I call to you, I know you are already at work answering and guiding me. Help me to be open to your responses. Help me to know and to listen to your eternal voice. Amen.


May 12

“For mortals it is impossible, but not for God; for God all things are possible.”
     Mark 10:27


Our human understandings cannot conceive of many things. They limit us when thinking of possibilities for healing and for peace. Yet … God understands what we do not. Yet … God sees far beyond our limits. We need to allow ourselves the gift of believing not in our impossibilities, but in God’s possibilities for us instead.

O God, open my eyes, open my mind, open my heart to know the infinite possibilities that come through you, for I need to hear your voice and to know your plans for me. Amen.



May 13

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
     Hebrews 11:1


Faith can be a difficult thing to have when your life is threatened. When you cannot see the outcome of your disease or you fear the worst for that outcome, your mind can take you to some very dark places. Yet … faith is just what we need in these kinds of times. We need to hold onto a hope that surpasses all human understanding, which believes in an outcome beyond all we know now. We have to believe in what is possible and we have to do everything in our power to work with God to have it be so.

There is so much I don’t know, God. There are so many outcomes I cannot predict. But I put my faith in you to help me find all I need. Amen.

May 14


The night is far gone, the day is near. Let us then lay aside the works of darkness and put on the armor of light.
     Romans 13:12


It’s very easy to look at all that is going wrong in our lives, to count the disappointments and to remember the pain. We tend to dwell on the dark moments. We are slow to number the moments of light. But we must make a concerted effort to name the good that surrounds us. It’s always there in spite of the deep challenges that confront us … more than we realize. Until we take the time to see how much light there is, we will only see the darkness. Today, look not for the darkness, but instead for the light.


Dear God, you are the light. Help us to allow your brightness to pierce the darkness in our lives, especially the darkness within us, this day. Amen.

May 15


My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning?
     Psalm 22:1


There is no one who at one time or another hasn’t felt utterly alone and abandoned by God. In times of intense pain, in days of incredible sorrow or in moments of indescribable fear, it can seem as if no one – including God – knows or cares. Those feelings are natural. They give meaning to our human need to search for a power greater than us, a power that can and will care for us when we cannot care for ourselves.


Dear God, in those times when I feel lost and alone, remind me that you are always with me. Help me to feel your presence in every way, especially in my moments of doubt and despair. Amen.

May 16

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
     Romans 15:13

Hope means many things. Some of hope’s synonyms are: to expect, to trust, to anticipate, to look forward to. In facing cancer we have to expect to overcome cancer. We have to trust in our plan to grow well. We need to anticipate the wholeness we seek. We need to look forward to the journey’s healing destination. To have hope is not an idle wish. It is an active, proactive, statement of survival.

Dear Lord, we abound in hope because of you. We ask for our hope to grow ever stronger and to empower us to life anew. Amen.

May 17

We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed but not driven to despair.
     2 Corinthians 4:8


Indeed, there are moments, days, on this journey that serve to bend our resolve and break our determination. Those times are often more difficult than we can begin to say. But those times do not serve as the final word on our lives. They must not be where we stay - mired in despair and self-pity. We do not have to be crushed by our circumstances. But instead we, with God’s spirit under girding us, can turn the tables and rise above the affliction that has invaded our lives.

Nothing can destroy us when we walk with you, O God. Though we are threatened in many ways, we have a strength from you that can make us victorious today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment