Friday, May 13, 2011

Week of May 14 - 20


May 14
 

The night is far gone, the day is near. Let us then lay aside the works of darkness and put on the armor of light.
     Romans 13:12


It’s very easy to look at all that is going wrong in our lives, to count the disappointments and to remember the pain.  We tend to dwell on the dark moments. We are slow to number the moments of light. But we must make a concerted effort to name the good that surrounds us. It’s always there in spite of the deep challenges that confront us … more than we realize. Until we take the time to see how much light there is, we will only see the darkness. Today, look not for the darkness, but instead for the light.

Dear God, you are the light. Help us to allow your brightness to pierce the darkness in our lives, especially the darkness within us, this day. Amen.


May 15
 

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning?
     Psalm 22:1


There is no one who at one time or another hasn’t felt utterly alone and abandoned by God. In times of intense pain, in days of incredible sorrow or in moments of indescribable fear, it can seem as if no one – including God – knows or cares. Those feelings are natural. They give meaning to our human need to search for a power greater than us, a power that can and will care for us when we cannot care for ourselves.

Dear God, in those times when I feel lost and alone, remind me that you are always with me. Help me to feel your presence in every way, especially in my moments of doubt and despair. Amen.


May 16
 

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
     Romans 15:13


Hope means many things. Some of hope’s synonyms are: to expect, to trust, to anticipate, to look forward to. In facing cancer we have to expect to overcome cancer. We have to trust in our plan to grow well. We need to anticipate the wholeness we seek. We need to look forward to the journey’s healing destination. To have hope is not an idle wish. It is an active, proactive, statement of survival.

Dear Lord, we abound in hope because of you. We ask for our hope to grow ever stronger and to empower us to life anew. Amen.


May 17
 

We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed but not driven to despair.
     2 Corinthians 4:8


Indeed, there are moments, days, on this journey that serve to bend our resolve and break our determination. Those times are often more difficult than we can begin to say. But those times do not serve as the final word on our lives. They must not be where we stay - mired in despair and self-pity. We do not have to be crushed by our circumstances. But instead we, with God’s spirit under girding us, can turn the tables and rise above the affliction that has invaded our lives.

Nothing can destroy us when we walk with you, O God.  Though we are threatened in many ways, we have a strength from you that can make us victorious today. Amen.


May 18
 

Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer, from the ends of the earth I call to you, when my heart is faint.
     Psalm 61:1-2


There may be many times when it seems as if God is not listening. When the answers we seek do not appear to us to be immediately evident or forthcoming, our confidence is shaken and our hope is diminished. The ancient psalmist felt this way too. The psalmist didn’t give up; but continued to call to God for help. Even when weak, the cry went forth to the One who can perfectly strengthen our weak spirits.

Spirit of strength, when we falter within, inspire us with your energy and power. In our moments of weakness, infuse us with new resolve and confidence. Amen.


May 19
 

So we do not lose heart. Even though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day.
     2 Corinthians 4:16


It’s tempting to give up. When we see nothing ahead but more of the same uncertainties and threats to our lives, it’s easy to believe it will never get better – and in fact will only grow worse. But even though our physical selves may be weakened and diminished, our spirits do not have to do the same. It is the resolve within that determines who we are and who we will grow and continue to be.

While much around me may be compromised and while I may be constantly challenged, I know you are renewing my spirit in incredible ways. Thank you for lifting me up, O God. Amen.


May 20
 

God, the Lord, is my strength; God makes my feet like the feet of a deer, and makes me tread upon the heights.
     Habakkuk 3:19


With God’s help we are able to do far more than we ever could do on our own. When we connect with the transcendent power of God and allow that power to lift us up, we can rise higher than we’ve ever risen before. God’s power in our lives enables us to harness more ability, more energy and more stamina than we could ever imagine harnessing under our own power. God’s power – the power of forgiveness, the power of hope and the power of peace – has a profound impact, far beyond our understanding.

O Lord, you lift me up to heights I could never reach on my own. I pray that I may allow your power to take me to new places in my healing and in my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment