Friday, May 6, 2011

Week of May 7 - 13

May 7
 
“Ask, and it will be given you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you.”
     Matthew 7:7
 

It is essential for us to take an active part in our survival and healing. God certainly reaches out to us to offer all that we need. But we have to make a dynamic effort to work with God in understanding what we need, in looking for solutions and answers and in taking the initiative to walk into the new opportunities God provides for us along the way.
 

Dear God, I realize that I have a significant role to play in my own well-being. Remind me that I am your partner and that when I work actively with you I can find all I need. Amen.

 

May 8
 

“I called to the Lord out of my distress, and God answered me; out of the belly of Sheol I cried, and you heard my voice.”
     Jonah 2:2

 

Distress is a familiar partner to cancer. We often feel as if we have fallen into a bottomless pit, the Sheol about which the author of Jonah writes. But no matter how deep the pit is or no matter how long we feel we have been swallowed up by it, we can never fall out of God’s earshot or sight. God knows our every high and our every low, our every moment of joy and our every moment of despair. Let us hold onto this truth, especially in times of deepest distress. For God is able to reach out to help us no matter where we find ourselves.
 

Just as you delivered Jonah when he was swallowed up, deliver us, O Lord, from the pit of despair. Help us to hear your voice no matter where are. Amen.

 

May 9
 

“Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you will be filled. blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.”
     Luke 6:21

 

God promises that we will be given everything we need. Even though we may crave for relief or fulfillment and even though we may mourn and lament our circumstances, these words reveal to us these circumstances are only temporary. While our pain and distress may seem endless, we are assured an end will come to them. These words are given to share with us the hope of relief and release that will surely be ours.
 

Sometimes I can’t see the end of my dis-ease in sight. But you reassure me, O God, that there is an end in store. Give me strength to hold on to greet that day. Amen.

 

May 10
 

Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
     Philippians 4: 8

 

The impact of our thoughts is of deep significance to our well-being. When we put our focus and energy on what is wrong in our lives we do nothing but stand against something. But when we put our attention on all that is good, on all that is right, we change our attitude and our lives. An attitude of joy and gratitude will always enable us to do so much more than one of opposition and defiance.
 

I thank you, Lord, for the infinite ways in which my life is good. When I focus on them I see my life in a more positive and triumphant way. Amen.
 


May 11
 

On the day I called, you answered me, you increased my strength of soul.
     Psalm 138:3

 

Just by reaching out to God in prayer, we open our hearts, minds, spirits and souls to a connection that offers us hope and help beyond our deepest understandings. When we call to God, we immediately unite with a divine purpose. We instantly transcend the limitations of our human nature and join with an eternal nature that rises above our every concern and fear.
 

God, in this moment when I call to you, I know you are already at work answering and guiding me. Help me to be open to your responses. Help me to know and to listen to your eternal voice. Amen.

 

May 12
 

“For mortals it is impossible, but not for God; for God all things are possible.”
Mark 10:27

 

Our human understandings cannot conceive of many things. They limit us when thinking of possibilities for healing and for peace. Yet … God understands what we do not. Yet … God sees far beyond our limits. We need to allow ourselves the gift of believing not in our impossibilities, but in God’s possibilities for us instead.
 

O God, open my eyes, open my mind, open my heart to know the infinite possibilities that come through you, for I need to hear your voice and to know your plans for me. Amen.



 

May 13
 
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
     Hebrews 11:1

 
Faith can be a difficult thing to have when your life is threatened. When you cannot see the outcome of your disease or you fear the worst for that outcome, your mind can take you to some very dark places. Yet … faith is just what we need in these kinds of times. We need to hold onto a hope that surpasses all human understanding, which believes in an outcome beyond all we know now. We have to believe in what is possible and we have to do everything in our power to work with God to have it be so.

 
There is so much I don’t know, God. There are so many outcomes I cannot predict. But I put my faith in you to help me find all I need. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment