Friday, October 21, 2011

Week of October 22 - 28

October 22
 
Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.
     Colossians 3:13

 
Our ability to forgive always needs more work. Nothing is harder for us to do. The act of forgiving ourselves and others of their shortcomings takes diligent time, effort and care. But it is the most important action we can take. We cannot be reminded enough how vital it is to allow the burdens of our hearts and minds to be lifted so that God can take them for us. Authentic healing is dependent on the release and relief forgiveness can bring. Where there are grudges, hostilities and bitter feelings, they must be resolved for us to be as strong as we need to be to heal in every way.
 
I know you forgive me over and over again. Dear God, I am not so good at that and I ask for your help in letting go and letting you carry the burdens for me. I need your grace – both for myself and to share. Amen.

 
October 23
 
Give ear to my words, O Lord; give heed to my sighing.
     Psalm 5:1

 
Is God listening? Does God care? Will God act to help us? How can God let us suffer as we do? All are typical questions when we are in the midst of cancer and its aftermath. Sometimes the answers don’t seem very evident. Sometimes God does seem to be silent, unresponsive and unconcerned. When we feel as if we are all alone in this struggle, the answer is not in giving up on believing or on reaching out to God. Like the ancient psalmist we must continue to call for God’s answer. It is in faithful calling and then in attentive and active listening when the answers we need will come.
 
I ask and I ask and there are times I do not hear your voice. Lord, help me to know when you respond. Help me to recognize your answer to me when it comes. I do not want to miss the help and guidance you give. Amen.

 
October 24
 
Indeed, we call blessed those who showed endurance. You have heard of the endurance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, how the Lord is compassionate and merciful.
     James 5:11

 
Even when we are uncertain that God cares or is aware of our suffering, we are reminded of Job, who symbolizes human suffering for us all. Job endured horror after horror and loss after loss. His friends questioned God’s care. But Job never gave up or gave in to the despair. He held firmly onto the belief that God would prevail for him. And indeed God did. His steadfast hope in a loving God who would deliver him beyond his distress gave him deliverance, restored him to new life and rewarded his hope. We need the hope of Job to lift us beyond our fears and above our disease.
 
I don’t know if I can have the patience, sometimes, God, to wait for you to help me. So I ask for it, because I so rarely have it on my own. Please share it with me today. I need it so much. Amen.

 
October 25
 
Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.
     Matthew 11:28

 
Cancer wears us out. It depletes us. It distresses us. Sometimes it feels as if it will destroy us. When you get so worn down you don’t know where to turn, turn to God. Turn back to God. Turn around to God. Turn toward God who is big enough to carry every burden for you. Turn to the One who will care for you in ways no one else can. Turn to have your weariness taken away. Turn to be revived in ways only God can do.
 
There are times when I am so tired I don’t know how I can go on. Dear Lord, refresh me and restore me. Don’t let me give up. Give me relief and give me rest so I may start all over again. Amen.

 
October 26
 
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal, …
     Matthew 6:19

 
Cancer often causes us to look closely at our priorities. It forces us, at times, to examine where we place our trust, our expectations and our hopes. It can compel us to reevaluate our deepest values and cherished principles. That look within ourselves can be very healing. In that closer examination of our lives’ treasured beliefs, it can help us to break away from things that do not satisfy and to find new ways of living that do. Take this day to look within and begin a renewed journey to a more fulfilling life.
 
Dear God, I know your wish for me is to find all that is eternal and everlasting. Yet there are days when I am bogged down in so much that is trivial and temporary. Help me today to refocus on what really matters – with you. Amen.


 
October 27
 
…but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal.
     Matthew 6:20

 
What really does matter in this life? What are the “treasures in heaven” God is offering to you? What are the eternal wonders that cannot be taken from you by disease, difficulty or the incredible dilemmas of this life? Think about what satisfies you deep down in your soul. What are the feelings that give you immense joy and contentment? What are the moments that you don’t want to end? Who are the people who bring you intense warmth and grace? What are the connections you make that fill you with satisfaction and peace of mind? Those are your treasures. Hold on to them. Be grateful for them. Cherish them.
 
I am grateful, O God, for the things and relationships that satisfy my soul. Many times I don’t appreciate them enough. But I know they are what you want me to savor and enjoy. Today I will. Amen.

 
October 28
 
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
     Matthew 6:21

 
What is most important to you? Where do you spend most of your time? What do you wish for most? Where do you give most of your effort? Think about these things. What is your life about? Is the legacy you are leaving one you are proud of? Can you look at your life’s direction with joy and pride? Do you think you are the person God created you to be? In your heart, do you know and see in yourself a blessed reflection of God’s goodness and grace? What is your treasure and how has cancer compelled you to examine your life to focus your life on the things that really matter?
 
Gracious God, generous God, I look at myself and there are some things I love. There are also some things I need to change. Help me today to discern how my priorities can be more in touch with you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment