Thursday, October 27, 2011

Week of October 29 - November 4

October 29

I lie down and sleep; I wake again, for the Lord sustains me.
     Psalm 3:5


Each new day of life is a precious gift from God. Most of us know that in our minds. But we don’t always live and react like we do. Many cancer survivors reflect on the fragileness and uncertain pathways of life. They realize that each breath we take and each step we make are granted to us by a loving, caring creator, a creator who wants us to find goodness and joy in each of them. Never forget that God has given you a special and wondrous gift with this day. Always know that God is with you to sustain you and to share blessings with you in every moment you have on this earth.

When my eyes open each new morning, I am reminded that the day is a gracious gift from you. I pray to use this gift gratefully and joyfully for you, O God. Amen.


October 30

Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing;…
     Psalm 6:2a


Understanding is something all of us need on this journey with cancer. We need to understand just what is happening to us. We need others to understand what is happening to us too. And we need to understand how God is working to see us through this uncertain and difficult time. There are times when we’re tired, worn down, afraid, confused, angry and feeling all alone. There is so much we don’t know. And all we ask is for patience in our doubt, grace in our weakness and encouragement in our struggles.

When I don’t live up to my own hopes and expectations and when I have a hard time forgiving myself, I know you offer grace to me, O God. Thank you for being more understanding of me than I am to myself. I pray that others can understand me a little better too. I need that today. Amen.


October 31

His glory covered the heavens, and the earth was full of his praise.
     Habakkuk 3:2c,d


If God is the author of love, peace and grace, all the wonderful gifts that bring blessings and meaning to our lives, then we need to be reminded of that. We need to be open in every way to seeing and experiencing the glories and wonders of God’s creation. On this journey with cancer we especially need to feel the splendor of God’s goodness toward us. In understanding God’s generous gifts, we can begin to claim authentic healing of our spirits, bodies and minds.

Let me see the amazing glory of this life you have given to me, O Lord. Let me know the joy of your creation today. In that I can experience your power and promise. Amen.


November 1

I pray that you may have the power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth,…
     Ephesians 3:18


The saints who have gone before us are not called “saints” because they were perfect people. No, they are deemed saints even with their imperfections. As we look closely at their lives we see people who have been afraid, selfish, weak, complicated and sometimes wrong. They have been much like all of us. But they are called saints because even though they were imperfect, they placed their lives in the care of a loving God in spite of their fears and vulnerabilities. Even when they lived with doubt, they still reached out to live with God in hope of God’s deliverance and help. In doing so they found wonder and eternity. So can we.

I have a lot of uncertainties, dear God, and there are days when I just don’t know what is real and what is not. I pray to you that I may come to see and understand your promises and your plan for me. Amen.


November 2

For you are not a God who delights in wickedness; evil will not sojourn with you.
     Psalm 5:4


If we ever think that God wants us to have cancer, to suffer or to be in pain, we are wrong. God is a God of healing, of comfort, of wholeness and of restoration. The scriptures continually remind us of God’s desire to have us experience the peace that passes understanding. God is not the author of evil, but the author of goodness. God does not want us to be resigned to evil, but to rise above evil in every way. Be confident today that God wants only your healing to be realized – in whatever ways you need healing the most. This present suffering is only temporary. But God’s healing is eternal.

On my bad days I struggle to believe that there are answers to help me rise above my fear and pain. But I want this to be a better day and I pray, O God, for the confidence to remember that you only want the very best for me. Amen.


November 3

For once you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord; walk as children of light.
     Ephesians 5:8


God does not want us to live in the darkness that leads to fear or to despair. Instead God wants us to be certain of where we are going and certain of our ability to find the way we need to go. Living in darkness creates bad choices and fosters within us a sense of hopelessness and ignorance. But God wants us to know there are always hopeful choices to consider and confident directions to be taken in this journey we are on. Walking in the light inspires assurance and promise for the better answers we seek.

At times, dear God, there are dark moments in my soul that burden me with uncertainty and dread. I yearn for your light to show me your brighter, better way for me. Help me to follow your light today. Amen.


November 4

But let all who take refuge in you rejoice, let them ever sing for joy;
     Psalm 5:11a


Possessing a spirit of joy is essential on this journey with cancer. Joy is an amazing gift from God. Joy is a spirit of trust, confidence and calm that helps us transcend all the challenges we face. Joy grants us serenity in spite of the turmoil within and around us. Joy infuses us with a sense of well-being even as we face the most difficult problems. Joy is a refuge in times of trouble. Joy is a balm that soothes our souls no matter what threatens our lives. Joy enables us to rise above our physical circumstances to experience hope and peace. That is a gift in which we truly can rejoice.

O Lord, I need this joy in my life today. I cannot be knocked down and pushed around and survive without the refuge you give. I’m looking to you today to help me find your joy alive in everything I do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment