Friday, November 30, 2012

Week of December 1 - 7

 December 1

Answer me when I call, O God of my right!
     Psalm 4:1a


In so many of our lives today, when we phone others we get busy signals. Or we quickly get put on hold. Or our calls are screened. Or we must navigate through a dozen messages in order to reach who we need. Or we have to leave a message that never gets returned. It’s especially frustrating when we are seeking answers that directly impact on our health and lives. In our desperation and anxiety we want to reach the ones who can help us without complication or delay. But with God it is not complicated. With God there is no delay. Because God is already at work even before we ask or know what to ask. God is the One whose line is always open, who never screens us and who is never too busy to hear.


I remember that you are always listening, even when I am not calling to you. Your ear is already waiting for my voice. Your hands are already creating a solution for me. Thank you for always being ready for me, O God. Amen.



December 2


O Lord, I have heard of your renown, and I stand in awe, O Lord, of your work.                 
     Habakkuk 3:2a,b


When we think about it - really pause to think about it - we can begin to see how very much God is working out good things in our lives. But we cannot just take them for granted. We must purposefully and intentionally make time to see and know just what God is doing for us. When we do we will be amazed. When we do we will be transformed. When we do we will see our lives becoming more positive, more joyful and more healthy. The more we understand how God is involved in bringing healing to our lives the more we will grow in gratitude and appreciation. The more grateful and appreciative we become, the more we will view life through God’s eyes. It is through God’s eyes that we will grow more assured of our direction and our purpose.


I can scarcely comprehend all you do for me, generous God. But each time I glimpse more of your goodness on my behalf, I am amazed at how intimately you care for me. I stand ready to become even more amazed today as I continue to look and to see how wonderful you truly are. Amen. 



December 3


Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
     Matthew 5:8


Our search for God is often clouded by our limitations and distractions. In our longing for survival we are sometimes quick to seek help and hope in quests that are ultimately in vain. We look for God’s presence in places that are not of God. We listen for God’s voice with a predetermined idea of what God will say. Our expectations are often narrower and smaller than any of God’s. But when we look and listen with no preconceived ideas, with no restrictions or preconditions, our openness will finally allow God to be let in. It is our willingness to allow God to be the God of unlimited possibilities that will ultimately bring us joy and healing.


Today as I seek you, dear Lord, I ask for the courage to be open to all your answers and desires for me. Help me not to seek my healing in ways that are not your will for me. Amen. 



December 4


Be gracious to me, and hear my prayer.
     Psalm 4:1c


We all want to be heard. Each of us has a story to tell and we need to know that others care enough to listen. We especially need to know that God cares and that God listens to our deepest thoughts and feelings. Others may not comprehend what we are feeling or going through. But we certainly hope God does and always will. Especially in times of disease and distress, knowing that God hears even what we cannot express in words, can mean the world to us. Our human nature longs for understanding. These words reflect that desire in our souls.


Caring God, I know you listen to me when no others are able. I know you hear my voice when no others can. I know you understand how I feel when no others can begin to. My gratitude is deep for you, for this, today. Amen. 



December 5


Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his power.
     Ephesians 6:10


Trust. Confidence. Resolve. Hope. A positive vision. These things are of God. They give us strength. They empower us. They supply us with the courage to face the uncertain future before us. We need each of these things to help us react to all that lies ahead with a healthy attitude and with grace. The gifts we need for healing, like these, all come from the One who is an endless source of support and sustenance for us. We do not have to travel on this road alone, left to our own limited knowledge and skills. But we can certainly rely on God to supply us with every gift necessary to find exactly what we need.


I can’t do this alone, O Lord. I need your power to help me find my way. Don’t let me try to find healing without you. Remind me of my own limitations and of your infinite care and love. Amen. 



December 6


But you, O Lord, are a shield around me, my glory, and the one who lifts up my head. 
      Psalm 3:3


When we come to rely on God to lift the burdens from us and chart the way for us it is amazing how much more empowered we can feel. When we realize that this is not a journey we can make on our own, it is incredible how much less weighed down we will feel. The raging storms of disease that buffet us have far less power to control us when we allow God to control the response to the threat. Our own solitary responses are not nearly adequate to know the entire depth and scope of our needs. Neither are they enough to comprehend the height and width of the possibilities there exists for our healing. Today we must look to God more and more to direct our reaction to life’s threats. Today we must open our minds to greater possibilities than we have ever known before.


I try too often to manage this disease on my own understandings. Or I give too much power to others who don’t know all the answers either. Give me a clear mind to see the larger picture you would like me to appreciate and see, O God. Amen. 



December 7


Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
     Matthew 5:7


The spirit with which we approach life has a tremendous impact on what we receive from life. Too often we react to complicated challenges and difficult people with resignation and frustration. In return we are often overwhelmed and feeling negative. But if we look at our circumstances with a spirit of compassion, kindness, forgiveness and understanding, we will find ourselves receiving much of the same in return. Our task is to approach everything confronting us with this spirit. The result will have a great positive impact on our daily lives, greater than we can fully know.


God of mercy, you look upon me with deep sympathy and care. You love me even when I am unlovable. I pray to learn from your benevolence and to grow in your grace and mercy today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment