Friday, November 9, 2012

Week of November 10 - 16

November 10

I cry aloud to the Lord, and he answers me from his holy hill.
     Psalm 3:4


My answers alone are never quite enough. My perspectives by themselves are limited in their scope. While I know might know myself intimately, God knows me even more. God’s view transcends this world, this moment. God’s view is an eternal one. God’s understandings go beyond this place and time. God’s holy view, from the vantage point of eternity, sees what we do not and cannot. This perspective is the one with which we need to connect to know our way, the way that is best for our healing and our ongoing journey through life.


Holy God, you answer me in greater ways than I can imagine. You call back to me with thoughts I have never considered. You speak to me with the clarity I really need. Because of your eternal understandings I am richly blessed. Amen. 


 November 11

Therefore take up the whole armor of God, so that you may be able to withstand on that evil day, and having everything, to stand firm.
     Ephesians 6:13


Surround yourself with caring people whom you can trust, those who love you and want only the best for you. Commit to whatever form of exercise brings you energy and enjoyment. Create and maintain an attitude of expectation and hopefulness. Nourish your body with food that is fresh, whole and colorful. Nurture relationships with medical professionals that are mutually respectful and honest. Connect with God constantly in prayer, especially to express thanks. These things together make up the armor of God. These things will give you strength, empowerment and the courage to stand for healing in the midst of distress and disease.


You provide me with more power than I can begin to name, dear Lord. You are my protector, my deflector and my defender. My gratitude is endless. Amen.


 November 12

Look at the nations, and see! Be astonished! Be astounded! For a work is being done in your days that you would not believe if you were told.
     Habakkuk 1:5


Even when we stop to look and see what God is doing in our lives we can scarcely begin to comprehend all that is taking place. God’s care for us is so deep. God’s love for us is so unconditional. God’s grace for us is so constant. God’s desire for our healing is so strong. But when we make it a practice to mindfully recount the care, love and grace we receive on a daily basis, we begin to heal – emotionally, mentally and spiritually, which only promotes our physical healing. While in this life we can never fully know God’s awesome power, we can certainly catch glimpses. And those glimpses can inspire us to see wonders and possibilities that we’ve never seen before.


Every time I stop to look at your work on my behalf I am amazed. O Lord, I can barely name what you do for me. I can rarely express how generous you are. I pray my wordlessness can still speak my gratitude for you. Amen. 


 November 13

As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience.
     Colossians 3:12


We have a choice. We can affect a demeanor that is angry, bitter, distrusting, cynical, arrogant or selfish. But that choice will not give us abiding peace. It will not bring us satisfying love. It will not generate hope. It is not a choice that promotes healing. The other choice is laid out for us in the passage above. It is the better choice, the choice that creates the fertile atmosphere in which health is renewed and restored. Look at your attitude and ask yourself about the atmosphere you have created around you. Is it rich and nourishing or is it depleting and empty? You have the choice to make it positive and joyful in countless ways.


The more I place my mind and actions in your care, the more I feel your presence and power, O God. My prayer today is to remember how you act toward me. It is a balm that soothes and uplifts my soul. I hope it is reflected in my daily life. Amen.



November 14


I am weary with my moaning;…
     Psalm 6:6a


There is no doubt that some days just simply take everything out of us. On those days there is nothing good to say, nothing to look forward to, nothing to hope for. Those days get awfully tiring. They drain us of our energy and often of our hope. When days like those multiply without much or any relief, our discouragement and doubt multiply too. Sometimes we just have to acknowledge where we are, that our spirits and our outlook are bleak. Sometimes it is healing in its own special way to communicate to God how tired and frustrated and frightened we are. Because God understands. And God can help us to find the way to relief, rest and refreshment.


I know you, alone, can take all my complaints and my dissatisfactions and turn them into something better. So I come to you O God, to take the burdens from me today. Amen.



November 15


If any of you is lacking in wisdom, ask God, who gives to all generously and ungrudgingly, and it will be given you.
     James 1:5


None of us can make this journey on our own. None of us has every answer, knows every nuance or understands every possibility. But God does. And God wants us to receive every answer we need, be aware of every nuance for hopeful living and comprehend every possibility of our healing. There is amazing power in connecting with God to explore the divine and eternal blessings that are offered to us completely, unendingly and without price. We need to remember that we are not alone in this challenge. We must never forget what a friend we have through the gracious love of God.


Thank you, generous God, for offering to me so much more than I realize or know. Thank you for giving to me everything I need to find healing and triumph today - and every day in my life. Amen. 



November 16


"But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,…"
     Matthew 5:44


The reminder is necessary and worth continual repeating – forgiveness is an essential part of authentic healing. We must allow the weight to be lifted from our hearts. The burdens we carry only get in the way. It is imperative to put aside the brokenness within us and allow all the pieces of our lives to be put back together again. The road to survival is hard enough to travel. When we lug so much extra baggage along the way, we only hurt ourselves. We hinder the healing that needs to take place. Resolve every day to take stock of the negative weight you carry. Resolve to unburden yourself today.


It’s sometimes the hardest thing I need to do. O God, I need your help to empower my ability to forgive. I ask for the strength to resolve my anger and bitterness, my resentments and grudges today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment